Defining characteristics. I think a lot about what quick facts help explain the person I am. If I saw someone I hadn’t seen in a couple years, what are five things I could tell them that explain my life today?
(1) To start – I live in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. In a home with my partner and our roommate, I can confidently say I pay my own rent and bills. I desperately want a cat, but one has not come my way and even if they did, my roommate is slightly allergic.
(2) I’ve left college after two unsuccessful attempts at finding happiness and inspiration at two vastly different universities. Initially studying Arts Management, Pace University in lower Manhattan was a bold choice. I always dreamed of living in New York City and I made that happen. The city was amazing, just not with the stress of college and not on my budget. I plan to head back when I’m ready to take on the 24/7 excitement with pockets full of savings. My second year was spent at THE Ohio State University, another bold choice. I still baffle myself racking my brain for what the hell I was thinking attending a college whose social life (and billion dollar budget) revolved around a football team. (fun fact: I usually hate sports).
(3) I now work two jobs in Cleveland; a bakery café and sub shop. Most months I can go two weeks without a day off, which can get stressful, but I’m making money and honestly I don’t have a life anyways.
(4) I drive a stick shift. I’m not entirely sure how I’ve come to hold this as a defining characteristic, but I take a lot of pride in the fact that I drive a manual car.
(5) Last, but not least, I am a vegetarian. I started cutting out meat this past summer and by August I was having my last meat meal. Now I’m not going to lecture anyone about veggie or veganism on here because it’s not really my style, but I always get the question of what lead me to my decision. In short, animal agriculture is one of the leading causes of global warming and cutting out meat lowers my carbon footprint more than anything else. In addition, I consider myself an animal lover and I believe that eating meat would contradict this fact.
And with that —
They say write what you know, but honestly I don’t know shit. So here are my experiences, emotions, and every day thoughts. Here is where I attempt to take you on a journey of finding some kind of lesson or message even I myself may not see, but am trying to learn from these days.
Maybe no one will read this and maybe I’m on this journey alone, but it’s your ability to see my words with the click of a button that shall now keep me up at night. I hope you enjoy me opening my journal to the world for the sake of art.
Healthy Reminder: Don’t be afraid to be honest with yourself and share that honesty with those around you.